Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Concert Review: Frightened Rabbit - 1/19/09 at Rock and Roll Hotel

First off, let me say, I'm not very good at taking pictures, apparently. I need some better skills and/or a better camera. Or just get to shows earlier or something. Anyway, I resolve to improve the quality of photos on this blog. This right here is just poor.

So, on with the review.

This is the second time in three months that, on the eve of a massively significant day in our nation's history, a foreigner has driven home the importance of the occasion. Billy Bragg came by the 9:30 club just before Election Day to tell DC how much our votes meant to him and the rest of the world. When Frightened Rabbit came on the last day of the Bush presidency, the significance of the day was not lost on them either. The Scotsmen said there was no other place in the world they would rather be right now than in Washington, DC  for this occasion.

Their enthusiasm showed in their performance too. At least I assume it did, even though I figure these guys are the type to go balls-to-the-wall for all their shows. Most of the songs were from the new album, Midnight Organ Fight, one of the best albums of 2oo8. They played one track from their first album. Check back later for a setlist once I get my shit together.

Anyway, I really like this band, and their show, though not quite as powerful as the recording, was another treat for this very exciting long weekend. Ok, it's late, and I'm starting my Inauguration day trek into the wilderness of Obama-crazy masses in less than two hours. See you in the Obama Era.

No comments: