Friday, December 19, 2008

Why I Hate Of Montreal

Of Montreal being annoying in Baltimore, 2007

I don't usually go around actively hating on bands. I respect musicians for putting themselves out there for public critique, and I usually just ignore bands I don't like. But Of Montreal is an exception. I can't stand them. I first heard them on Satanic Panic in the Attic, and it was an OK album, but I found the unchecked glee of the singing highly annoying. Don't you know rock music is about misery?! The next time I heard them was on an Outback Steakhouse commercial. I generally groan when bands I like "sell out" and do commercials, but Of Montreal took it a step further. They changed the words to one of their own songs to make the jingle for the Outback commercial, "let's go Outback tonight." Here's the original song, "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games." That is criminal! An "indie" band shilling for a corporate steakhouse and changing the words of their own song?! Who does that? They deserve maximum mocking. That happened a while ago, though. The indie-heads know that's old news. The last straw for me, however, was even older news than that, which I recently found with the help of my good friend Wikipedia. Of Montreal is not from Montreal, but from Athens, Georgia. Maybe I'm the stupid one for assuming what shouldn't necessarily be assumed. Maybe everyone else caught on to that long ago. But me? I just learned about it, and I'm angry at being deceived for so long. Also, it didn't help their cause that their new album, Skeletal Lamping, sucks.

No comments: